Monday, April 18, 2011

A Middle Eastern/Mediterranean Salad Dressing

Louisa, a new friend of mine,  gave me a supply of ground sumac from a local Armenian market.  So....what did I do?  I got creative and made a tasty salad dressing to toss over dark green and red romaine lettuce, toasted walnuts and sliced avocado. Here's the recipe for Creamy Sumac Salad Dressing.

Put all the below ingredients into a blender or food processor:

1 small or medium clove fresh garlic, pressed (use the entire clove)
Juice of one medium to large lemon
½ cup Greek non-fat yogurt (Chobani brand is really good) – or for a vegan version, use tofu
1 teaspoon ground sumac
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Several teaspoons fresh parsley leaves
¼ cup EVOO

Process to a smooth consistency.  
For a thicker dipping sauce, use more greek yogurt.  For smoother more liquid salad dressing use slightly more EVOO.

Thanks for the sumac Louisa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My pleasure. The recipe sounds delish, I will have to try making the dressing myself. C ya soon. Can't wait for thr Triple Treat.