Friday, December 26, 2008

A Very Good Year

I took some time today to reflect back through 2008 and I am filled with gratitude for the experiences, people, places and things I encountered. I am grateful for my good health and fitness in body, mind and spirit during this past year, where and how I get to live and the wonderful people I’ve met along the way. The highlights of my year…….

My niece, Pearl, married a good man named Chris and this is a wonderful thing. Their wedding was and their union is, just so special. I had fun catering the food for their wedding. Their baby, my new grand niece, Maya, arrived into the world and has brought much joy to many people. I feel blessed to be a part of their lives.  Isn't she cute!

I had the opportunity to cook for some amazing people, advance my skills, gain experience and have fun with it. And they actually paid me to do it!

I began experimenting with Thai style cooking, pretty much teaching myself. I developed some original Thai dishes, my specialty being “Thai Eggplant Cups” – a mildly flavored coconut vegetarian dish served right in the eggplant shell! And my Lemongrass Chicken isn’t bad either! I absolutely love marrying the Thai flavors of ginger, lemongrass, garlic, Thai basil and hot chili oils. How do you say “delicious” in Thai.?

This blog celebrated its first anniversary. Looking back now I see 29 articles that I’ve posted here. Isn’t it amazing what can happen one step (or one article, or one anything) at a time! I also see that I have built a compendium of food and dining ideas, recipes, and health and nutrition related white paper in such a way that I now have enough material for a book. (Next year’s project perhaps).

I started a weekly walking/fitness group which has turned into a complete blessing because of the wonderful people who have consistently showed up every Saturday morning. Not only have I made new friends, my walking friends have made friends amongst themselves as well, and this gives me great pleasure to know that I might possibly have had a little something to do with bringing like-minded people together in this town which is so busy with we who can sometimes alienate from each other. This Saturday morning walking group is an example of how wonderful the Internet is. Why? Because I was able to put this walking group together through something called “Meetup”. If you’ve never heard of it, check it out at www.meetup.com. Pick a topic that interests you, then join! It could change your life. It has definitely changed and enriched mine.

Most importantly I want to thank the people (and one sweet canine) who have touched me in one way or another this past year: Pearl, Chris, Maya, Dave (may he rest in peace), Mom, DiAnn, Jacqueline, Sal, Danny, Mark, Mabel, Kathryn, Jeni, LeVon, Dr. Peace, Nicolette, Ruth, Catherine, Mitch, Taryn, Audrey, Gene, Todd, Eckhart Tolle, The Hicks, and all the people of the Universe who believe.

And, as Andy Rooney said: Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.

I WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR FILLED WITH REWARDING MOUNTAINS TO CLIMB

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Rebec, that lifted my spirits. To read such gratitude in peace in your words not only makes me happy for you but fills me with the same. Lots of love, peace, and happiness in 2009 to you! Love, Jeni