Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Red, White and Green Kale Salad

This kale salad - and any kale salad for that matter - is best when the kale is organic and very fresh, rinsed in cold water, drained and finely shredded or chopped.  There is a technique I use when preparing raw kale:  I wash it well, allow it to drain.  I then use a very sharp knife to remove the tough stem.  Then I take as much as I can hold in my hand and I squeeze it into a ball in my palm: this massaging effort breaks down some of the tough fiber in the kale and causes it to taste less bitter.  Then with a handful of squeezed/massaged kale (compacted into a ball), I shred it as fine as I can with the very sharp knife, carefully.  :)   Here's my recipe for a hearty, nutrient-dense, kale salad.


Red, white and Green Kale Salad

4-5 medium/large leaves of purple kale finely shredded or chopped

1 can cannellini beans, well rinsed

½ large red pepper, finely chopped

1/3 large cucumber, finely chopped

a generous handful of fresh chopped herbs (oregano, basil, mint, parsley)

optional: sliced black olives, hearts of palm or artichoke hearts (rinsed)

Place above ingredients into large bowl.  Mix well.



Prepare dressing:

Juice of ½ fresh lemon
3-4 tablespoons good olive oil

pinch cracked red pepper

½ teaspoon good Italian Seasoning herbs

½ teaspoon minced onion and garlic (minced together)



Put dressing ingredients into screw top jar, shake vigorously.  Let stand for a few minutes, shake again.  Pour onto kale mixture.  Toss very well and refrigerate for ½ hour.  Toss again (adjust seasoning – salt & pepper if desired).  Serve on cold salad plates.

No comments: